Top Social

the oldest cemetery

Saturday, September 6, 2014
My grandma has a really neat cemetery just a little walk from her house. It's super cool with really old walls and headstones! I wonder how long it takes for a stone wall to deteriorate that much?? 

The coolest headstones in the world are there!

A lot of them were obviously hand carved. Isn't that crazy?! In my sculpting class we had to carve something from a huge rock, and it took forever! Mega props to these dudes.

I wonder what the "bride" is for on this one? Any ideas?

Jake and I wanted to know what she was martyred for. So sad!




Some of them were literally just stakes with like, plastic or metal. It sort of made me feel bad that they didn't have any other options. I don't know, maybe it's a religious or cultural thing? 



Some were so old you couldn't even see the engraving! So crazy.


And lastly, a crescent moon to finish the night off. It was such a nice little walk exploring such an old cemetery!


XOXO
- - - - - 
E


2 comments on "the oldest cemetery"
  1. I have always loved old things and thinking of the history attached to them. Cemeteries are no exception. You always have to wonder what the inscriptions really are all about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! Although now that I think about it more, I wonder if on the "Bride" one, Bride was their last name... I wish there were more old cemeteries in Utah with like, the crumbly headstones and stuff! Have you been to Doxie's Chair in Alpine? This guy had a chair made out of marble (or some stone) for his headstone haha.

      Delete