Top Social

coconut oil hair mask diy

Wednesday, December 3, 2014
Hello hello! Ever since I first mentioned coconut oil as a hair mask, I've gotten tons of questions/emails about it, so here's a quick how-to!

To start, I usually do this to my hair on its 5th day, before I wash it in the shower. I always throw on a bathrobe, just so I don't get my clothes icky. 
1/ Run your coconut oil underneath hot water in the sink to melt it down.
2/ I mix the coconut oil with about 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
3/ Brush your hair while your coconut oil is melting.
4/ Pull it onto the top of your head.
5/ Start by dipping your ends in the oils. Wring it out, and dip the ends in again. I repeat this all the way up my hair in sections, until the oils are gone and I feel like every area of my hair is soaked. I run a comb through the ends, just because that's where I care about being conditioned the most and to make sure they are soaked. You can wipe off the extra oil on your hands on the underneath part of your hair that didn't get it if you want.
6/ Pull into a baby bun. Make it secure! 
Then you can just go about your day! I leave mine in for at least an hour. When you're ready, hop in the shower and rinse out the oils. I then shampoo, face wash, rinse shampoo, condition, sugar scrub, shave, coconut oil on body, and rinse conditioner. 

Anyways, it's amazing. I can't say it's made my hair healthy for sure, because I've also been not using heat on my hair (except my bangs) for a while. So, I don't know which one of those things has been doing it, but honestly my hair is AMAZINGLY soft. I always make Jake feel how soft it is hahahaha. I thought my hair texture before was just how hair felt, but after trying some things it definitely can be improved! If you have any hair tips, please let me know! It took me too long to discover how amazing coconut oil is as a hair mask!

XOXO
- - - - -
E

**The coconut oil pictured is Dr. Bronner's Fresh-pressed Virgin Coconut OIl, but I usually use BetterBody Foods & Nutrition Organic Coconut OIl and just buy it from Macey's. I use the same coconut oil on my hair as I do on the rest of my body.

2 comments on "coconut oil hair mask diy"
  1. coconut oil is miracle oil. been using it on my legs and now they are like photoshop legs (not really, but so smooth and soft!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait but they probably really are photoshop legs because coconut oil is from the gods.

      Delete