Top Social

a happy list: 42

Monday, December 8, 2014
I've noticed it's been a while since I explained why I do these happy lists every Monday! I've taken a whole class on positive psychology this semester and could go into so so so much more detail about how it's helpful to your general affect to note the positive things, but probably not many people are up for that so here's a quick bulleted list!

- People who made a weekly list of things they were happy about/grateful were shown to be happier and more satisfied with their life than controls.

- It increases mindfulness and makes you more observant and aware of the small beautiful things in day to day life that are normally overlooked.

So, basically it really does make you happier to keep track of good things that you liked about your week! It's a fun little experiment to try in your journal (or blog if you're into that). Try it out and see if you notice anything different in your moods! I personally like to do little things, instead of big events, just so I make sure I'm actually keeping track throughout the week of things that make me happy. Now, without further ado…


Taking my first final / Coconut curry vegetables and the great wall of chocolate from PF Changs / Finally getting cute Christmas pajamas / Trying Ivie Juice Bar in Provo (got the beach babe acai bowl) and LOVING IT / Taking Jake to Color Me Mine for the first time / When Jake taught my lesson for me / Finding out during the last hour of church that I didn't have to go to work after all / Nailing some much sought after "bombshell" hair after many trials and errors / My mom's face when my brother-in-law picked her up in his limo for her birthday party / Discovering the Vampire Diaries and wasting wayyyyyyy too much time watching it

Here's some internet things to make you happy!
This apartment… So gorgeous! / This girl's adventures in India. I miss India so so so much every day and need to be in Jaipur like, now.

It's been a good week! Wish us luck as we prepare for finals! I can't wait until the day we are done with this whole "student" thing haha.

XOXO
- - - - -
E
27 comments on "a happy list: 42"
  1. I loooaaaooeoaooeove that picture of you guys it's so cute! your hair looks BOMB. I don't know if that's the "bombshell" hair you talked about but hey it looks like it could be. bangs look so good on you! I really want to try Ivie Juice Bar, their acai bowls look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is the bombshell hair! thanks! yes yes before you two move we should double and grab a bowl! text me!

      Delete
  2. Emily, your hair looks AMAZING in this photo! You are gorgeous! Also I agree that those who look for the positive in their lives are generally happier people. Makes sense if ya ask me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. def makes sense! i have some good book recommendations if you're interesting, i'm sure they would be ap psychology approved :) also i just remembered your name is the same as the girl in harry potter, so that's cool haha.

      Delete
  3. love this recap! and picture! you're the cutest. GOOD luck with finals!

    xo welltraveledwife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! you're the cutest on you india adventures!!!!

      Delete
  4. that sounds like a good week! good luck on your finals, you can do it!
    xo, cheyenne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! ah! i believe it coming from you who can't miss classes!

      Delete
  5. happy lists totally do make you more mindful of life's blessing and open your eyes to the simple beauties in the world. we have so much for which to be grateful! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we really do!! it's so crazy how much we have compared to most people in the world. good to be mindful of our lives too :)

      Delete
  6. Ah I discovered Vampire Diaries last summer and it was veeeery dangerous. Ha I spent way too many hours a day watching that thing. Also, gooood luck with finals! It'll be so nice being done and being able to get to more important things (yes, I'm talking about Vamp Dies)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha have you finished? or where are you at? will you please come watch it with me because i just want to talk about it all the time with someone who knows the characters haha.

      Delete
  7. ugh, I want your bombshell hair. it really does look great in that picture. not fair.

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. go look at barefoot blonde's instagram post about how they do it! works like a charm!

      Delete
  8. ^^ agree with all of the above! your hair is daaaaahling! your happy lists have inspired me to be keeping a bedside gratitude list since October.

    ((also, thanks for the little shoutout! you need to come to Boston and visit !!))

    xx,
    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're so kind! thank you! and yay for bedside gratitude lists! and i want to visit so badly!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  9. You are SO cute, and your positivity is so inspiring! I definitely need to take some inspiration from you and make some lists of my own :)

    www.room-334.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! yes try it out! there's a book called "the how of happiness" that has like tests so you can find out which happiness activitiy is right for you and it's amazing what it does to your general well-being!

      Delete
  10. I need some more positivity in my life! I should join you in these happy lists.
    I have a couple of friends that want me to start vampire diaries but I feel like I only need one really ridiculous show to watch and yell at, and that's Pretty Little Liars. Have you seen it? RIDICULOUS. But oh so entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes yes do!
      OMG YES I HAVE SEEN IT. PLL. JEEZ. like i hate myself for watching it, but also it's so good and i just want to know who A is already. vampire diaries isn't as good as that, but probably like similar. like with the corny-ness and high school setting. but ya. it's mainly good to watch like as a background noise sort of thing. so you're not wasting your time with all the fluff, but like there are good parts that you don't miss. does that make sense. mainly you should watch it so we can talk about it hahaha.

      Delete
  11. I really want to take that positive psychology class! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh!!!! you should! sign up! i think they let you if you pay for 3 credits? idk haha. but it's amazing.

      Delete
  12. I've been reading your happy lists for a few weeks now, and I really enjoy them. I might copy you over on my blog - but I'll be sure to link back to you. I just think it's important to appreciate and remember the little things that make life wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! i'm glad you like them! and i'm glad you're deciding to particpate! you'll have to send me links to your lists so I can link to them at the bottom of mine, to spread happiness cheer! (get it, instead of christmas cheer…. lol)!

      Delete
    2. haha! you're so cute. . and I definitely will! :)

      Delete
  13. Forgive me for sounding ignorant (I'm a newb over here), but what is your major? Was the psych course you mentioned required or an elective? (I ask because I'm a psych major and am totally intrigued by this idea!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1.) My major is Psychology!
      2.) So it is an elective kind of. Like anyone from any major can take it. However, for my cluster (clinical and developmental psychology) it counted as a requirement, seeing as I had to take 3 classes from that cluster. Positive psych wasn't an option, but when the announced the class they announced it could count as a requirement.
      3.) Are you going to BYU? If so you should definitely take it! And if you have any other questions about classes I would love to tell you about all the awesome teachers! Idk how far in you are yet though. If you're not going to BYU, definitely check and see if they offer it! If you're at all interested, here's a TED talk from the guy who founded Positive Psychology! Kind of cool!
      http://www.ted.com/talks/martin_seligman_on_the_state_of_psychology

      Delete