Top Social

How I'm Liking New York City: The Truth

Wednesday, May 25, 2016


Whenever people ask me how I'm liking living in New York City, the only thing that comes to my mind is: it's a rollercoaster. There are some things that I am scared of and hate, and there are some things that I love and couldn't live without. It's constantly up and down. 

My life in Utah was comparable to riding a Merry-Go-Round. It was nice and safe, never full of too much excitement. While living in Utah, I became really anxious and depressed and latched on to this idea that what I wanted most was to move to New York City. However, now that I am here I realize I don't necessarily need to live in New York City to be happy. I just know that Utah isn't a good fit with my personality and lifestyle. At one point in your life (yes, I mean you), you have stood somewhere and said the words, "I like this, but I could never live here." That's how I feel about Utah, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. 

The more I explore different cities and towns, the more I realize there are a variety of places I could be happy and make a home. I mean, sure, I could be happy in New York City. But, I could also be happy in Hoboken, with all the cute streets and shops. Or Spokane, with the beautiful evergreen trees and granola lifestyle. Or even California, with all of the camping and beaches. 

I think ultimately what's important to me is being somewhere that I can make my own. Somewhere that no one has been before, where I can start my own traditions and my own lifestyle. I want to live a life without any maps or tour guides and figure things out for myself. It's definitely outside my comfort zone, but I feel like there is some sort of poetic beauty that occurs when you push yourself further than you thought you could. 

I don't know if we'll live in New York City forever. I don't even know if we'll live here while I go to graduate school. But, I do know that our time in New York City will be something we'll always treasure. We moved here as a couple of kids, but we will leave as real, grown-up adults. 

And that to me, makes it worth it.

XOXO
- - - - -
E

P.S. All photos are from my day trip to Hoboken.

Post Comment
Post a Comment