Top Social

Best Indie Films On Netflix: January 2017

Tuesday, January 17, 2017
If I start posting about movies I have watched we have 2 rules:
1. Don't judge my taste. (It's very... specific.)
2. Look up the parent's guide on IMDB before you decide to watch them.



The Fundamentals of Caring:
This has Paul Rudd, which means it is destined for greatness. He takes care of a British teenager with MS and they embark on a road trip (where they pick up Selena Gomez!) to a giant it. It was so good. Like, so good. This is the indie movie that sparked my obsessed with indie movies and led to me watching all the rest of these in a week. If you watch none of these, watch this one.


Clinical: 
This is about a therapist who is attacked by a patient, and then starts seeing a new patient who is a severely deformed man. It was ok. It definitely surprised me at the end, which was nice. It was a nice little horror/thriller to have on in the background.


Tiny Furniture:
This is about a new graduate who moves back home while figuring out what to do with her life. It's Lena Dunham. I thought I would love it, but TBH I hated it? Like it just seemed so unempowering to women and I don't feel like the conflicts were ever resolved. I also felt like the character relationships were to weird to be believable (plz tell me these are not realistic). It had some good one liners, though.


Pulp Fiction:
I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAVEN'T SEEN THIS UNTIL NOW. At my old job my manager called me The Wolf and now I understand the reference. Anyway, I thought this was so good and quirky and funny. It's about 2 gangsters and their antics? I honestly got kind of lost with the jumping around but seeing John Travolta in that end scene was my favorite.


Beginners:
EWAN MCGREGOR BE STILL MY HEART! After his mom dies, his dad announces he is gay and wants to explore that side of himself. Then his dad dies as well. It sort of flashes back and forth.
My favorite thing about this was the dog, Arthur. Such respect! Also I identified a lot with the drawings Ewan does of things people say to him. I used to do the same thing when I was in high school to help with anxiety.

Burn, Burn, Burn:
This is about two girls who's friend dies of cancer. He sends them on a road trip to scatter his ashes. It's not the best, but it's a nice little background movie. I did like the way the friend reacted to finding out he had cancer.


Short Term 12:
This is about a girl who works at a rehab center for teenagers. It was SO GOOD. Rami Malek makes an appearance and it's so fun to see him in something that isn't Mr. Robot. I feel like I identified with this a lot from my time working in a rehab center.


Philomena:
I didn't think I would like this because it's about an older woman who is searching for the son she gave up for adoption, but I actually really did. It gives a good glimpse into the darker side of religious institutions and the things people do in the name of God.


Tallulah:
OH MY GOSH. MY OVARIES YOU GUYS. First of all, Ellen Page. Gold, always. Second of all, I loved almost everything about this. The turtle side story?! SO FUNNY. That's totally my humor. The only thing I didn't like was the ending, I wish it was more concrete.


A Girl Like Her:
You will all judge me for this but I liked it haha. It was a unique perspective to bullying and made it feel more "real" the way it was filmed.


Other People:
This mainly was good for me because it had Todd from Breaking Bad, but he wasn't a psychopath. It also has a lil' cameo of Gabe from The Office. Go Gabe!!! It had some dark humor, which I like.


The Invitation:
UGH. This had so much potential. So much. I just really wish it would have ended differently, but it was still worth a watch because it's creepy AF.

- - - - -

Have you guys seen any of these? Also what are your favorite indie films on Netflix right now? I feel like it takes me forever to find ones that look good haha.

XOXO
- - - - -
E

Post Comment
Post a Comment